Saturday, October 10, 2015

Case welding.

Welding aluminium sucks. Puch cases are the thinnest around the crank on top. Thinner than everywhere else at least. I had to do hot tacks around the hole I cut and die grind them flat just to get it built up. Air leaks are my enemy here but that was the best I could do. Straight beads would have just caved in and running my machine at a heat setting low enough not to cave in wouldn't penetrate the metal. After getting it built up I was able to do a few beads with the hot setting. Then die grind it flat and later hit it with a small sanding disk on my drill press. I don't have access to fancy tools... Now I'm ready to weld my plate on from the inside. Not really worried about making the port smaller as it will still flow a huge carb. A vm24 is what I have now from an old Yamaha dt175. I'm pretty nervous, but it's 1/2" thick so at least I won't burn through. I'll seal the deal with epoxy when it's all said and done. I got the transfers welded up too so I can cut massive ports later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment